Cortona, information and advice about one of Tuscany's most beautiful towns
One of the finest towns in Tuscany. It is situated on the Umbria-Tuscany border. It has 25,000 inhabitants and stands at 600 metres above sea level giving it beautiful views over the Val di Chiana and Lake Trasimeno.
This beautiful little hilltop town is the perfect location for exploring many Tuscan and Umbrian towns and cities such as Arezzo, Montepulciano, Siena, Perugia, Assisi, Florence, Gubbio, Orvieto, Pienza and Lake Trasimeno.
We hope you find the information below useful when planning your trip to this area.
We have a wide range of fantastic nearby villas to suit all tastes and budgets. Click on the image or villa name for more information. If you don't see a villa that suits, please get in touch, we have lots more.
VILLA SANTA MARIA
The town dates back to Etruscan times and each century since has left its
mark, right up to beautiful piazzas built by the French during the
Some of our favourite sights are -
- Palazzo Comunale. The Town hall, built in 13th century it provides a lovely backdrop to daily life.
- Piazza della Repubblica. the most famous piazza.
- Piazza Signorelli. next to the Piazza della Repubblica and less crowded. On Sundays it has a flea market selling antiques. The Teatro dell Signorelli is also here.
- Piazza Garibaldi. Built by the French during the Napoleonic wars.
- The Cortona Steak Festival, an annual event showcasing the local Chianina beefsteaks. A giant, 14 metre barbecue is the setting for this open air event, which takes place in a park near the centre of town. Great family atmosphere, come along, enjoy the music, food and wine. Tuscany at its best.
Tuscany can get crowded during the holiday season, so we always recommended reserving a table, especially for dinner. Here are a few of our favourite restaurants. For less fancy eating options, there are take-away pizza shops around Piazza della Repubblica.
- Trattoria Dardano, Via Dardano, 24, Closed on Wednesday.
- Trattoria La Grotta, P.Baldelli 3, has outdoor tables in a secluded courtyard. Closed on Tuesday.
- Osteria del Teatro, Via Maffei, 2
- Hosteria La Bucaccia, via Ghibellina n. 17
- Gelateria Linus, Piazza Signorelli, 24
- Caffè Degli Artisti, Via Nazionale, 18, Owned by an Italian-Finnish couple.
- The Lion's Well, Piazza Signorelli 28
- Route 66 Cafè, Via Nazionale, 71, Angolo Piazza Garibaldi,
Our BEST TUSCANY APPS page, also has lots of useful mobile apps for your phone or tablet.