Discover Tuscany! is a FREE occasional Newsletter dedicated to helping you get the best from your holiday in Tuscany.
I was going to send out this chirpy wee “Credit Crunch” issue of Discover Tuscany the other day but I heard on the news that times were so tough the world was probably going to end at any moment. Always the optimist, I gave it a couple of days just in case and as it seems we’re still here, we thought we’d do our bit to help with belt tightening everywhere.
We’d like to share our guide to - Tuscany on a Shoestring with you.
I’m sure you’ll agree, with all the recent credit crunch chatter, what you really need is a relaxing holiday in the sun to look forward to. Most importantly, a holiday that doesn’t break the bank. How about Tuscany from €16 per person per night, hard to believe but true!! Read on to find out how to save on every part of your trip to Tuscany.
TUSCANY ON A SHOESTRING
- Flights – sign up for all the budget airline’s newsletters. Offers go fast, if you see a great deal, grab it.
- Be Flexible – midweek, early, late. Try to travel when others don’t and you can save lots.
- Arrival airport – most people think of Pisa as the only Tuscan airport. Consider Bologna, Forli, Perugia, even Rome is within travelling distance. Most are within a couple of hours of Central Tuscany.
- Pack Light – Ladies!! On a week’s trip to the sun you really can pack enough in a hand luggage sized case. You’ll save money and time.
- Villa Seasons – owners decide on their own seasons. Season changes vary from owner to owner. By booking the week before or after you can save thousands.
- Book Early – many owners are presently offering this year’s prices for next year. For example - Book before end Nov at
to get 2008 prices and you’ll get FREE use of their fantastic sauna and gym.
- 2009 Cheaper than 2008! - Some owners have even reduced their prices. For example
is actually CHEAPER than last year!
- Think Big – share a bigger villa with a group of family or friends. Apart from being fun it can also be extremely good value.
- Sleeps up to 12 – from 17 euros per person per night.
- Sleeps up to 9 – from 25 euros per person per night.
- Sleeps 14 – from 30 euros per person per day.
- Sleeps up to 15 – from 35 euros per person per day.
- Sleeps up to 20 - from 38 euros per person per night.
- Sleeps up to 16 – from 38 euros per person per night.
- We also have 3 new villas all sleeping up to 20 guests from 23 euros per person per night. Get in touch for more info.
- Facilities – Rent where there are lots of on site facilities – pool, tennis, mountain bikes, horse riding, wine bar, restaurant, football school, cookery school, planetarium, etc
Sleeps up to 9 guests – from 25 euros per person per night.
FREE tennis, ping pong, 2 restaurants close by, horse riding available.
Apartments from 2 up to 9 guests from 16 euros per person per night. FREE tennis, own restaurant, mountain bikes and horse riding available.
Sleeps up to 15 – from 35 euros per person per night.
FREE tennis available. Welcome dinner, basket of breakfast items for day after arrival, freshly baked bread every day, twice weekly change of linen, change of pool towels on request, cleaning 3 times during the week ALL included in the rental.
Sleeps up to 20 guests from 38 euros per person per night.
Welcome groceries for 2 meals and 2 breakfasts, twice weekly change of bed linen + towels, 3 hours of cleaning 5 times per week ALL included in the rental.
Various sized apartments and detached villas.
FREE use of use of tennis court, gym, football pitch, mountain bikes
Daily cleaning of bathrooms and bedrooms (6 days per week), twice weekly linen change, change of towels every 2 days. ALL included in the rental
Sleeps up to 12 from 54 euros per person per night.
1 FREE dinner included, multiuse games pitch, sauna, dinners from 15 euros per person.
- Rent in a village or within walking distance to amenities. Save on travel money.
Pretty apartments on the edge of a village.
Beautiful apartment in the heart of Cortona.
Beautiful historic chapel. Local buses into Florence city centre.
Hotel / Residence on the edge of Siena city centre but has the bonus of a garden with pool.
-Use Public Transport - there are great value weekly passes and family passes can save you up to 20%.
- Pedal Power – fun, good exercise and cheap. Rent bikes for your holiday transport.
Bike Hire Info
- Food – buy your basics at one of the many discount stores (Lidl, Penny market or the local Coop supermarket’s own brand goods), use the local village markets for the special ingredients. Choose what’s in season, it’s fresher and you’ll save. Although not strictly “Tuscan”, if you happen to be in Florence on a Sunday, you can get a good lunch at Ikea (kids lunch €1) it’s out near the airport.
-Drink – Many Tuscan wineries sell bulk wine by the Litre. One even has “wine” petrol pumps, one for red and one for white! Take along a 5, 10, 25 or 50 Litre container and stock up. Prices start from an incredible 50 -75p per litre.
- Festas – look out for posters advertising local festas. GTasty local food and wine, great prices and the sunset is free.
What's On Info
-Be Creative – some of the most memorable experiences are free. Sunset over the Chianti hills, whilst sharing a bottle of Chianti , picnic in a local olive grove. A bbq around the pool. None of them cost much but you’ll treasure the memories for ever.
-Stand up – In many bars especially in the cities you pay more if you sit down to drink your coffee. Act like a local, stand at the bar and save!
-Days out – A relaxing day at the thermal springs, an evening 10 pin bowling. None of them are costly for a whole day or evening. Remember to always ask for discount offers or family passes.
Terme S. Giovanni
/ 10 Pin Bowling
-Bring your laptop – DVD’s keep the kids amused in the evening. Costs zero
-Designer outlets – Tuscany has the best. Save gazillions on Prada, D & G, Armani etc. If you’re going to tighten your belt make sure it’s a designer one!
Val di Chiana Outlet Village
/ Barberino Outlet Village
Many outlets aren’t publicized, so you need to know where they are. Get our Designer Outlet Guide inside our FREE information pack, sent out before arrival to all customers who book accommodation with us. We help you save time on your holiday by providing you with useful information before you leave.
-Phone calls – make sure you’ve signed up for any international mobile deals. You can also rent a mobile phone , gives great rates when in Italy.
-Don’t miss our Special Golf Promotions for 2009!
With competitive prices like these, no need to go further afield and who can beat the great food and fine wines that Tuscany has to offer! Shop until you drop in historic Florence or some of the designer outlets, or just relax at the resorts wonderful spa centre, where there are a range of spa treatments available.
SPECIAL Golf clinic packages
from 390 euros per person for a 3 night stay, Includes: American buffet breakfast, unlimited green fee, unlimited access to driving range, unlimited access to gym & Turkish bath, unlimited access to outdoor swimming pools (open June - Sept), 1 x dinner, 15% reductions on further dinners, Shopping card with special reductions at McArthur Glen outlet close by, 1 x logo ball per person.
Golf Promo info
Xmas Shopping Trip!
Why not experience Tuscany in autumn and winter with great low season prices and delicious Autumn flavours with your Xmas shopping! Great outlets, wonderful city centre shopping. Many properties can offer less than a week’s stay off season.
Great Deals For Villas at Xmas & New Year
Tuscany has a magical atmosphere around the festive season and many of our villas offer Low or Mid Season prices. Celebrate Christmas or New Year with your family in a rustic Tuscan farmhouse decorated for Christmas, roasting chestnuts over an enormous open fire. Enjoy Christmas dinner made with the finest local Tuscan food and wines.
Low Season priced villas:
Mid Season priced villas:
Owners are contacting us daily with special offers, most are one off offers, they go fast, if you like one, get in touch asap. If you don’t see anything that suits you, contact us, tell us what you want. We’ll ask our owners, let’s see what they come up with.
We all need a break especially when times are tough. We hope you find our - Tuscany on a Shoestring advice useful and we look forward to seeing you here in Tuscany, relaxing under the Tuscan Sun sometime soon.
Fiona & Jim
“a corner of paradise in the heart of Italy”
Tuscan Style Ltd.
t/a Rent a Villa in Tuscany
Upper O'Connell Street
© rent-a-villa-in-tuscany.com 2008 All Rights Reserved